- Boalt Hall, University of California, Berkeley, J.D., June 1972
- Martindale Hubbell, AV-rated (highest rating)
- Engaged in civil trial practice since 1972 specializing in insurance coverage and bad faith litigation.
- Founded Cal Advocates, a student-funded, non-profit, public interest law firm at UC Berkeley. Has now become CalPirg.
- Worked with White House staff during Clinton Administration on issues related to insurance reform
- Founder, InsuranceConsumers.com.
- Special Master, Department of Insurance: Appointed by San Francisco Superior Court Judge John Dearman to oversee reforms in California Department of Insurance.
- Subject of a “60 Minutes” report by Ed Bradley concerning insurance abuses and unfair claims and underwriting practices.
- Appointed by United States Senator Barbara Boxer to the Federal Judicial Selection Advisory Committee. This committee reviews and recommends applicants for federal district court judgeships for her selection and recommendation to the President.
- Lead counsel in Hangarter, McGreggor and dozens of precedent-setting and Record verdicts and settlements in Long Term Disability (LTD) insurance bad faith cases throughout the Country.
Recent Lectures and Writings